Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I used to dream about the life I'm living now


Last Friday I was given the July issue of Charleston, which happens to be the first issue I worked on, putting my name at the forefront of the magazine. Squealing with joy and excitement, I immediately took a picture and sent it to my friends and family. There's nothing more satisfying than seeing your name on something hundreds of people will come into contact with. Whether people really look at the names of each person who contributes to Charleston I honestly don't care, but the mere fact that my lowly name is there is amazing in itself.

I can't believe I've been here for almost 2 months already. Time flies when you are working all the time and investing every bit of energy into different projects. I feel like I am learning and growing multitudes at my internship though. My boss asked me the other day what my anticipations were going into this job. I can honestly say I didn't foresee half of the things that I do on a regular basis. It's funny how your expectations about people and situations drastically change once you are exposed to them. Our perceptions are always so off, yet sometimes they are right on (which is rare) Until you really get to know someone or have a certain experience, your eyes are pretty clouded. Just one thing I am learning recently.

Last week, I got to record my boss's interview with bridal designer Heidi Elnora (project runway contestant season 2). Maddison Row, bridal boutique in Charleston, will begin to carry her line so she came in to help host their trunk show and promote her line. While Ayoka interviewed her, I got the opportunity to film their interview and listen to her story. Heidi is probably one of the most down to earth individuals that I have met in this industry. Her story is no different than anyone else's. Just a simple southern girl with a dream and she made it happen. The thing I loved most about listening to her: she has stayed true to her roots and remains the same person she was before she became famous. I even got to record each of her spring 2o11 bridal gowns in detail as she explained each design, print, and inspiration source. Just another check in my once in a lifetime opportunity boxes.

Film Meets Fashion: This event was made up of 6 hosts, 6 independent film showings, and 6 fashion shows. Created to benefit Charleston's Make-A-Wish Foundation, this social gathering was nothing short of creativity and ingenuity. The 6 films were created by directors here in
Charleston with local actors, screenwriters, and costume designers. My boss's son was actually in one as well. Each segment began with a host, followed by a film and a fashion show..6 times. Fashion shows were given by local retailers/designers. Of course I thoroughly enjoyed these, but mostly for the music/fashion videos they played on the screen while the models walked out. The music was perfect for each line featured and the scenes picked for each movie correlated with the theme of the collection. Greatest thing about this event: ticket: FREE..thank you Charleston magazine. Picture: Andy Warhol Howdy Doody being auctioned off at Film Meets Fashion




No comments:

Post a Comment